Monday, 13 June 2016

Movies and the sound of music…


Do you use your hearing aids when watching movies?

Is it just me, or do you find the music so loud it marches right across the dialogue, drowning out the speech?

My hearing isn’t perfect – but I am not stone deaf. In any session at the movies, I’m pulling my hearing aids out each time the music crescendos, then pushing them in to try to catch the dialogue. It is not a relaxing experience!
I know I’m not alone. Like any of us who value our hearing, I want to protect these precious sense organs – not damage them by blaring music.

Even friends who have no hearing issues have commented on the volume of music in today’s movies. They complain that they cannot hear the words because of the volume of the music. That’s ok in a fairly predictable action movie, but not in a drama. Some have taken a leaf out of my book: they now turn the music down and use captions, and have discovered a whole lot of side benefits. ‘It’s great,’ they say, ‘I can watch the late, late movie and not wake the kids’.


So if you want the sense-surround experience, go to the movies. But if you want to know what is going on in the program, select your DVD or television channel with captions so you can enjoy the drama without reaching for the Panadol.

No comments:

Post a Comment